I love riz au lait, a traditional French and Spanish dessert very similar to rice pudding. Mommy used to prepare it for me, large pots of warm dessert waiting for me in the kitchen, don´t need to say it never lasted to long. A couple of months ago I asked her for the recipe and never actually tried it until today, but as I was feeling adventurous I decided to give it a twist using quinoa instead of rice, layering with some spicy marmalade and topping it with fresh banana. And it was perfect, the perfect blend of flavors, of memories and moments, the perfect mixture of yesterday and today in one single cup.
- 1/4 Cup quinoa
- 1/2 Cup water
- 1 1/2 Cup almond or soy milk
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1 Teaspoon vanilla
- 1 Cup fresh berries (I used strawberries)
- 1/2 Cup sugar
- 1/4 Cup water
- 1 Tablespoon of cinnamon
- 1 Teaspoon of pepper
- 1 Banana for topping
- Soak the quinoa in water for 10 minutes before cooking.
- In a pot in mix the quinoa, the water and 1 cup of milk. Place in the stove in high heat until it starts to boil (around 5 minutes)
- Then reduce the heat to low and cook it for 30 minutes.
- When done add the other 1/2 cup of milk, the sugar and the vanilla and cook it for 20 more minutes in low heat.
- Let it rest for 5 minutes.
- Place the berries in a pot and cook them in low heat for 5 minutes.
- Add the sugar and the water.
- Crush the berries.
- Let it boil, mixing regularly for 15 minutes (You can do this while preparing the quinoa)
- Add the pepper and the cinnamon and cook until the texture is similar to jelly.
- Remove from heat and let it rest for 5 minutes.
- Layer the quinoa with some marmalade. Top with some fresh banana